Outfit Inspo | Colorado Springs Fall Family Photos
Its that time of year for Colorado Springs fall family photos! The leaves are already beginning to change. It can be overwhelming and stressful to pick out outfits for your whole family, so I put together a few tips to make the process a little easier.
Wardrobe choices are so important for your photos and really make all the difference. For outdoor family sessions in Colorado Springs, earth tones photograph really beautifully. Think mustard yellow, rust orange, olive green, navy blue, denim, blush pink. I recommend picking one feature piece with a pop of color or pattern (like the plaid shirt above) and then choosing outfits to go with it that aren’t too matchy matchy. Adding in a few neutral outfits (cream, gray, tan etc) balances it all out.
A few important “rules” to remember: no neon colors, no tennis shoes, no cargo pants. Include lots of layers and accessories: hats, scarves, vests, etc.
Wear to shop:
Shop the above outfits
Let’s break it down:
- Mom: Pick moms outfit first! Its most important that mom feels comfortable and beautiful in her outfit. Long flowing dresses photograph best and add beautiful movement to your photos.
- Boys: Long sleeve button up shirts or plain t-shirts. But remember no logos! And unless it is really hot out long pants are best. Since family sessions take place in the evening a couple hours before sunset, it is often cooling off by then.
- Baby Boys: Suspenders are adorable for baby boys. Long pants and long sleeves are best. Even on a really nice day long sleeves are best for little ones because its so important to keep babies warm. A cold baby usually means a cranky baby. On a cool evening I even suggest a hat, because it looks adorable and it keeps them extra warm.
- Baby Girls: For baby girls under 18 months or so, I recommend rompers because they are so cute and also dresses bunch up really easily and always need adjusted. You can add a pair of tights to keeps those legs warm. For older baby girls dresses are adorable and remember solids or subtle patterns are best. Don’t forget a bow or hat! If its chilly out, dress them in lots of layers, vests, hats, scarves etc.
- Girls: For older girls its important that they are comfortable in their outfit. So let them pick it out, just remember no logos or neon colors. A simple dress with leggings is perfect!
- Dads: A long sleeve top, pants and closed toe shoes! Keep it simple. No cargo pants or sneakers.
Introducing the Client Closet
I am starting to put together a client closet. The hope is that this will become a collection of clothing that clients can choose from to style their session. I know how expensive it can be to style an entire family, so providing this seems like the perfect solution. Right now there are only a few women’s and kids items available in limited sizes, and lots of baby bows. Clients, if this is something you are interested in, please don’t hesitate to ask! My hope is to slowly add new pieces in the next year or so!